276 N. Sprague Ave, Apt A
Kingston, PA 18704
Phone (570) 287-0119
E-mail: jsherry @(AT) wyomingseminary.org
Education Bachelor of Arts, Drama - Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY, ‘95
Also completed 24 concentration credits toward a BS in Cinema & Photography.
Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School, Kingston, PA, ‘91
Computer Skills Experience with both PC and Macintosh, with more recent focus on Mac – proficient with FinalCutPro HD, iMovie HD, DVD Studio Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Filemaker Pro, , Powerschool/Powerteacher, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint); LPC (modified C) programming
English Faculty, Director of Drama, Film Club Advisor
Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School, Kingston, PA (Sep 2000 – Present):
Full time teacher of English, teaching year-long freshman classes, as well as multiple
upper level term length electives.
As a classroom teacher:
- Have created several popular new electives in the program, including Taboo (frequently described as a “must take” course by graduates), Dramatic Experience (essentially Intro to Acting), and Modern Fantasy Fiction. Other electives include: Shakespeare: Comedy & Tragedy, Style & Structure, Stage & Page, Advanced Public Speaking, Contemporary Drama.
- have designed and taught Intro to Digital Filmmaking, the school’s first digital video course, which introduces students to both shooting and editing digital video, as well as general filmmaking techniques and principles
As Director of Drama:
- have revived a drama department that had been waning in recent years and restored the program to its position as one of the school’s most acclaimed programs
- Direct two of the three annual theatrical productions, one of which is a full-length musical. Highlights include having produced the state and regional premiere of Urinetown: the Musical, staging the first non-professional production of the revised script of Stephen Schwartz & Joseph Stein’s The Baker’s Wife, producing the regional premiere of Grand Hotel and Arcadia
- Have instituted a unique “Acting Workshop” production to enable increased student learning in conjunction with public performance in a “black box” setting.
As Advisor of Film Club:
- Have created and continue to pilot our Digital Film program. In addition to producing a student film festival annually, incorporated the curriculum’s first digital filmmaking course into the Fine Arts curriculum. 3 of our filmmakers have already gained recognition at the festival level for their work, while one of our international students has gone on to produce professional films in Germany
As an Advisor and Community Member:
- Fulfill a role as a leader in integrating technology into a curriculum under review.
- Serve as academic advisor to 8-10 students per year, helping students with scheduling and acclimation to and navigation of the school
Master Teacher - Summer Shakespeare Workshop
College Misericordia, Dallas PA (2001 – 2003):
Ran a week-long dramatic workshop in conjunction with the National Players’ summer production.
Producer, Director, Editor, and Sole Proprietor
Digital Valley Studios (2005-Present)
Director of Drama & Technical Director
Lackawanna Trail High School, Lackawanna Trail, PA (1995-1998)
Independent Contractor, Performance
Employed as an actor for various regional stage productions and improvisational performance with such theatres as The 13th Street Theatre (NYC),Bucks County Playhouse (New Hope, PA),Pocono Playhouse (Pocono Mts., PA), and Studio One Productions (Norfolk VA). With Scranton Public Theatre had the honor of working with Pulitzer prizewinner & Academy Award nominee Jason Miller, appearing in the playwright’s revival of his play Nobody Hears a Broken Drum.
Department Head, Data Processing
Vector Security Systems, Wilkes-Barre, PA (June 1998 – Aug 2000)
Oversaw training of permanent employees as well as countless temporary employees for data entry department. Compiled 36 page training manual. On two occasions (over 70,000 accounts in total), eased the transfer of one company’s data into another’s automation. Supervised data implementation and adjustment for residential and commercial security and fire alarm systems. Personally responsible for having maintained data and customer service for several of the company’s largest commercial clients. Performed minor remote programming changes for most major brands of security system (primarily involving combinations and reporting codes).
Director of Drama
The Performing Arts Center, Conyngham, PA (1996 -1998)
Created a program of ongoing weekly acting classes for grades 2 through adult.
Director of Drama
JCC Daycamps, Wilkes-Barre/Dallas, PA (1989-1994)
Created and taught several 8 week programs of study in drama for ages 3-15. Curriculums included dramatic games and imaginative exercises, culminating in a full-length musical production.
Films & Other Projects
Vice President and Founder, Community Film Project (2003-Present) CFP is a non-profit organization that facilitates the production and promotion of independent films in Northeastern Pennsylvania. CFP films have appeared in film festivals across the country, and in other countries (from Canada to England to Australia).
Director/Producer: Cubes (feature, narrative, unrated)
Distributed on DVD by Echelon Entertainment, available for rental on Netflix
Winner: CODES Pro Media Award, ReelHeART International Film Festival ’08
Winner: Best of the Rest, DeReel International Film Festival (Australia) ‘07
Official Selection: Garden State Film Festival, ’07
Official Selection: Pocono Mountain Film Festival ’07
Official Selection: Woods Hole International Film Festival ‘06
Producer/Director: The Home of Superman (short, doc)
Documentary project with NY Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer (The Zero Game,
The Book of Lies); an effort to preserve the home in which Jerry Siegel created the
character of Superman, ultimately helping to raise over $100,000 for the cause.
Producer/Co-Writer/Actor (principal): Barrage (short, narrative)
Winner: IFC Media Lab, aired on Independent Film Channel, and on Sci-Fi Channel’s
Producer/Director: Bad Time (short, narrative)
Co-Producer/Actor (supporting): Have a Nice Day:A Day in the Life of Sid Montgomery
Winner: Audience Award, Judges’ Award for Best Script, Phila. 48 Hour Film Contest ‘02
Casting Director, Actor (supporting): Placebo (feature, narrative)
Winner: Best Cinematography, Festivus Film Festival 09
Official Selection: Omaha Film Festival ’09
Official Selection: Philadelphia International Film Festival ’08
Official Selection: Newport Beach International Film Festival ‘08
Casting Director, Actor (principal): The Suicide Notes (feature, narrative)
Distributed on DVD by Anthem Pictures
Official Selection: Silver Lake Film Festival ‘06
Official Selection: Omaha Film Festival ’06
Official Selection: First Glance Film Festival ’06
Actor (supporting): Stories from the Mines (feature, documentary)
Emmy nomination: Documentary
Selected video work and clips available to view at http://jsherry.webs.com/apps/videos/